– extracts from a Majlis of Mufti Zubair Bayat of Durban in November 2013
(The recent occurrence of a magnitude 4 earth tremor in Johannesburg on the 18th of November 2013 is evidence that earth is dissatisfied with the actions of those who inhabit it. These were the sentiments of respected Mufti Zubair Bayat, head of the Darul Ihsan Islamic Services Centre in KwaZulu Natal. He mentioned this in Masjid Taqwa, Seacowlake at a Majlis programme)
– “This is a sign of Allah SWT and a warning for the people of our country”.
– “While South Africa had been spared from any major natural disaster in our recent history, conditions could change rapidly based on our actions.”
– “We are very fortunate, that, to a great extent, we have been safeguarded and protected by Allah SWT in this country. At most, we have some floods – but it is not of a magnitude that hundreds of thousands are affected.”
– “Now and then, Allah SWT gives us a wake-up call and an awakening so that we can repent, make amends, reform and change before it is too late.”
– “The earth also has its way of conveying its message to man – we are familiar with human beings protesting for different reasons. The earth also protests. And the protests of the earth is by these tremors and quakes we see from time to time.”
– “The earth is saying “Enough!” and cannot bear any more the burden of the sins of mankind. It is saying: ‘I cannot bear these transgressions of human beings occurring on my surface anymore’.
– “These occurrences are meant to induce man to take heed of his sins and repent. Following this course of action, would result in the earth ‘calming down.’
– “However, failing such a response, mankind’s continued transgressions and heedlessness would only become a source for even greater regret.”
– “When the actual event happens, it will be too late to turn back the clock. Once an earthquake sets in motion, there is no force on earth (other than Allah SWT) who can turn it back.”
– “We should become less preoccupied with the scientific explanations behind such events, and become more introspective into our ways of lives. There’s no point knowing about the how, we need to know about the why”.
– “A Hadith wherein the Mother of the Believers, Aishah RA highlighted certain misdeeds which make conditions ripe for the occurrence of such disasters. “When a woman removes her clothes in a house other than her husbands (an indication towards adultery), she tears the veil between her and Allah. When she applies perfume to please a male other than her husband, this will be a source of fire and a blemish for her. When the people then begin to commit adultery, consume alcohol and use musical instruments, Allah becomes enraged above the heavens and orders the Earth to shake them. If they repent and refrain, then it is good for them, otherwise Allah will cause it to fall upon them.” [Mustadrak al-Haakim (4/561) No. 8575 and Kitab Al-Fitan (2/619) No. 1729]
– “They are warning signs, but sometimes mankind is so steeped in heedlessness that they cannot even understand what is a warning from Allah SWT.”
– “Previous experience shows that animals are even perceptive to the warnings of natural disasters, whilst human beings are still in a slumber.”
– “Istighfaar (repentance) in great abundance is a critical ingredient for warding off such tragedies.”
-“Give Sadaqah (charity) to cool the anger of Allah.”
– “Beware of wayward behavior and patronizing ‘places of sin’. Never set foot in those environments.”
– “It is time now to hasten towards the environments of piety and Taqwa. Sit with the pious people, go out in the path of Allah, attend Deeni (religious) programmes, initiate Taleem (learning) circles at home, do the Zikr of Allah excessively, improve Akhlaaq (character), start doing good actions, as one good action draws and attracts another good action, in this manner we will be safeguarded, inshallah”.